Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

This Name and Why...

Call Me Mumsy.

I know some of you are thinking "why on EARTH would she pick this name?'. Am I right?  I toyed with this particular name for a good long time, rolling it around on my tongue like a good fine wine, making sure it was well balanced and other wine analogies I can't seem think of at the moment. Full bodied comes to mind, but that's more about my size than my blog name. Good to know my advanced ability to rabbit trail has done nothing but improve over the last few years!

Bottom line: A good name is important. (There's a life lesson in that last line somewhere, but I'm not going there right now.)

Another name I considered was Adventures in Stretch Pants.  I really liked this name, but there is still a good portion of me (no pun intended) that has a great desire to not buy stretchy waist band pants. In other words, momma doesn't want to be a plus size for the rest of her life.  I also thought that as I aged I could transition into Adventures in Depends: It's No Laughing Matter.  But again, I really don't want to be known for my lack of bladder control either. Come on people, six kids came out of this body ..... I'm one good laugh away from a natural disaster every single day of my life.  I am not ashamed to admit this. Okay...maybe a little, but I want this blog to be honest, so there it is.

I just admitted to incontinence in my second post.

Keepin' it classy, y'all.

Needless to say, this name was not the name that summed me up, so it didn't make the cut.

The last name I considered was Momma Said...  I thought I could have fun with this one.  Kitschy little tag lines, great blog titles and something that specifically identified ME.  Plus, I really enjoy the song.  It's even in my iTunes. :) I liked it so much that I actually snagged it in Blogger and it sits there safely awaiting me if I ever need it.  So why didn't I pick it this time?  It just didn't feel right.  At least not right now and that was enough for me.

So now the question begs, why this Mumsy thing?

Well, it's not anything mind boggling or anything, but I sort of have a fascination with British people. As in, I adore them.  Their accents, their country, their cities, their countryside, their sayings (dodgy! bloke!), all of it. And every Mother's Day for the last several years or more, I tell my children that for that day they need to call me Mumsy. With... the British accent.

Most of the time this involves a lot of begging and pleading on my part, but generally I can get a few Mumsy's out of them before the day is over.  And let me tell you....my children can do a sick British accent!  This makes me exceedingly happy and all is well.

So that is the very simple reason behind why I chose the name Call Me Mumsy.  It's endearing to me.

And quite frankly, it probably says a lot about what kind of complete and total nut job I am.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment