Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

Brave - A Review

*There is possible SPOILERS in this post, so be prepared!* Nothing that gives it away, but mostly story line discussion.



Let me just say, the four Littles and I have been very excited about Disney Pixar's new film, Brave.  I am all over a movie about a feisty girl with out of control red, curly hair!  Like I would know anything about that!

For months we've have counted down until this movie came out.  We really had intended on going to opening day and then the unthinkable happened....my 19 year old Maddie went to the midnight showing.

She came over the next day and informed me that it was dumb, somewhat boring, scary and inappropriate. WHA?!! I was crushed, to say the least.  More so for the four Littles because we had been so excited and now, I had serious doubts about the movie.

We decided to wait a few days and see what the general buzz was around the Internet.  After some more contemplation & some positive reviews, I decided to go ahead and take the bigger girls to see it and left the two little ones at home with Monk for the evening.

Let me just say this about the movie... I loved it!!

That's what I get for trusting the opinion of a 19 year old.  Not to diss her (okay, maybe a little), BUT...I can see where she wouldn't totally 'get' the theme of the movie.

In the previews, we are led to believe that the movie is about young Merida's quest for freedom.  This is definitely in the story line, but it's most definitely not the main story line of the movie.

The main story line of the movie is mostly about the mother/daughter relationship.  I originally wanted to say mother/child, but now I'm not so sure that's appropriate.  I really think the mother/daughter relationship is very strong and evident in the movie.

As the mother of 5 girls....let me repeat that... As the mother of FIVE girls, I totally GOT this movie!  I could relate in every way!  Well, except for the whole Scottish queen/princess/ride a horse/ marry a man who wears a skirt sort of thing.

And in the end? I cried.  Because I would have done exactly what Merida's mother did...defend my children no matter what the situation and the possible outcome.

Here are my following opinions and observations on the movie in general.  In bullet form, of course.

  • As per usual, the animation was outstanding.  It was hard to believe the scenery was actually animation - just beautiful!  And Merida's hair?  OH. MY. LANTA. I wanted it! I wanted one of my daughter's to have it! Totally in love with her. :)
  • Merida had a strong relationship with her father and a strained relationship with her mother.  Some could interpret this as a weak father role sort of thing, but I would disagree with that. Merida just  had her father's personality and he understood her. 
  • I believe the movie had a great example of a girl who rebelled and then repented.
  • I believe it also showed how parents need to listen to their children and that those relationships can be repaired.
  • There was a lot of humor involving Merida's rambunctious red-headed little brothers. They were all boy and kept my girl's (and ME!) in stitches with their boy antics.
  • The movie has some scary scenes that involve a bear. I was glad that the two smallest Littles weren't there with me. It was pretty intense and even scared Liv a little.
  • There is magic in the movie - as in most Disney movies.
  • There is some nudity involving male rear ends. I didn't find it offensive although I can see where some might. This is what Maddie deemed offensive. It was pertinent to the scene, however.
  • There is also a scene involving a woman's bosoms, but again, it was more funny than it was offensive. There is no nudity.  It is just a scene where it is 'implied' as to what happens.
  • The mother and father loved one another very much, which was nice to see.
  • Merida loves her brothers and got along with them. Also nice to see.
  • I was very glad that this movie didn't involve a prince. Some may see it as a form of some sort of feminism, but it was more about Merida's desire to find love on her own and not be forced into a relationship she was not ready for.
And that's it!  Would I see it again? Absolutely?  Will I buy it when it comes out on DVD? Absolutely! 

It made me look at my relationships with my daughters and realize that they all aren't going to be like me or do what I want them to all the time.  And I'm okay with that.  It also made me realize that I would go to the ends of the earth to defend them in any way I needed to.

And that, my friends?  Is good stuff!

Now to just figure out how to make them all have giant heads of outrageously red, curly hair...

3 comments:

  1. I wonder if Shaylin could handle the scary scenes. She's seen some scary stuff on tv accidentally & it's never bothered her but I'm more concerned about the images being in her head at night. But I would love to have a momma/daughter date like that where I get to just focus on her again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much for the review!!! I think we'll wait to take Ollie b/c of the bears, but I can't WAIT for me and Jared to see it. Probably when it comes out on DVD, though :) seems like that's how we roll these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your statement on the prince thing. I recently saw Beauty and the Beasts with my teen moms and was horrified to pick up on the theme that if you love him enough, your beast will transform into a prince. Most of my teen moms have horrible "baby daddies" that have deserted them and been absolutely beastly to them. Several are in jail. Loving them well will NOT turn them into princes.

    ReplyDelete