Pages

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Why So Serious...and other Wondrous Updates

It has occurred to me while looking through the past few blog posts here that I've been relatively serious. This struck me as funny. Not funny 'haha', but funny 'strange'.

For any that know me (which is mostly those that read here), realize this is mostly out of character for me as I am normally the most immature 43 year old in the proverbial blog room. And I really am. I try to follow my writing instincts and for some reason they have not led me down the path of humor. 

This doesn't mean that plenty of funny doesn't happen in my every day mommy life because it does. Every single day my kids do something that makes me laugh. Or swear, but that's mostly under my breath and I would never say it on here. It just seems that as I open this blank page to write, my funny bone chokes. Or perhaps it is being choked by some more mature part of my brain that is tired of not being taken seriously.  I have no idea, to be honest. But frankly, the mere thought of there being a battle in my brain between the forces of my overly immature funny bone and some random mature area of my brain, amuses me to no end.  

And immaturity prevails once again.

************

I wanted to give everyone a quick update on the Ye Olde Job Front.  I don't always enjoy sharing on Facebook because I feel as if it can seem 'too' public. So, my logic says, "let's put it out on the Internet for the whole world to see because that's better!".  Clearly, logic is not my strong suit. 

Anyway....there is still no job for my husband. He has now put out around 50 resumés with only 2 interviews. And both of those interviews told him they would let him know either way if they would hire him or not.  Unfortunately, neither did. :( It's a hard thing to sit around and wait like that.

I have run the gamut of emotions over the last six months, but I find that the most prevalent word to describe this time in our life is peace. Yes, peace.  It is a peace that can only be described as Supernatural because y'all, I am not only a lifelong member of Worriers of America Club, but I could be their president. The peace that I've had is seriously amazing. A God-given gift when I needed it most. 

It's interesting though, the longer Monk is out of a job, the more I dread when he will have to leave again for 8+ hours a day. I'm secretly hoping for a work-from-home job. He's done that for most of our marriage anyway and while there are days I want to throat punch him, for the most part I love having him around. 

Immaturity begets immaturity and we, my friends, are a power couple.

**************

Again, many of you know that my Maddie left for Africa at the end of February to serve in an orphanage. She's been there 3 weeks now and will be returning this coming Saturday! 



I've had 2 phone calls from her - one lasting 2 minutes and one lasting 40 minutes! She is IN LOVE! She loves those sweet little orphans so much. She told me she cries at the thought of leaving them.  She spent one day hiking in the jungle (while singing, "In the Jungle") and other random Lion King songs ... an adventure she will never forget, I'm sure. She's ridden on sketchy motorcycles, been sunburned while taking older girls from the orphanage swimming in a sketchy pool and been the only white girl playing in a soccer game with a group of Africans. Her latest escapade ended with her getting hurt when she took a well kicked soccer ball to the wrist. White girl got no game.

Oh, my girl. I know where her heart is. It would not surprise me at all if she ended up in Africa some day. She has such a love for those sweet babies. I know Jesus is doing great things in her heart and there is NOTHING that could bring a mother more joy then to know her child is seeking God's will for her life.

Unfortunately, she also has a love of delicious hamburgers and Sonic cherry limeades, both of which has been her first meal request for when she returns. HA! She texted me the other day that she was willing to kill a small animal for some chocolate.

She is her mother's daughter.

****************

This week was spring break for our girls and we managed to get our ENTIRE garden planted. This is a feat that has never been accomplished by March 16th in the entire history of the Monk marriage. 

Last year I planted some things in...um...May. Most people were getting their first crops of squash and tomatoes and I was...well...slacking. 

We planted watermelon, cantaloupe, zucchini, yellow squash, 4 varieties of tomatoes, sugar snap peas and some herbs.  I'm most excited about the tomatoes and the sugar snap peas. I have no idea why, but I am.  I think that getting excited about your garden vegetables is some rite of passage into the You're Getting Old club. 

My friends, I seem to be excelling in this area.

Tilling the garden was quite the adventure this year seeing that Monk and I both forgot how to operate the tiller in what we like to call...the RIGHT way.  I decided on Monday that I was just going to get out there and DO IT!  It sounds like I could be a representative for Nike, but trust me, had Nike seen my tilling performance they would have just probably sent me to the producers of Jackass.  

After nearly pulling my arms from their sockets multiple times and then running the tiller into the fence even more times, I had to ask for Monk's help. I didn't want to watch his attempt since I watched him lose his drawers while tilling 4 years ago and that's the kind of thing no one ever wants to see twice.  While the tiller didn't pants him this year, it certainly didn't play nice.

That's when he realized we were doing it wrong.


The next morning we both woke up and cried.  My spine had been twisted like origami and while I'm sure it may have looked like a beautiful swan on the inside, I looked like the Hunchback of Notre Dame on the outside.  

We created a new dance that day.  It was called the Shuffle and Moan. Top that off with hot coffee and large doses of ibuprofen and we rocked it out.



We kept it up the rest of the week and managed to finish without the use of a morphine drip. I still have some planting to do this week, but most of it's minimal.  I also plan on visiting the chiropractor in the morning. 

Is The Rack still available?

*******************

One of these days I'll try and post on a regular basis again...but I wouldn't expect it any time soon. 

And as always....

Live long and prosper.

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Love it, my friend! (And you aren't old)

    ReplyDelete